Dear PHP, you’re dead to me. Thanks for a lousy time.
Wow, this just nails it. Reading this makes everything you always felt while coding in PHP so much more clear. Written beautifully. A must read for every developer (especially PHP ones).
A small spoiler:
- PHP is full of surprises: mysql_real_escape_string, E_ALL
- PHP is inconsistent: strpos, str_rot13
- PHP requires boilerplate: error-checking around C API calls, ===
- PHP is flaky: ==, foreach ($foo as &$bar)
- PHP is opaque: no stack traces by default or for fatals, complex error reporting
Also, a while back I felt I had to reduce my PHP dosage in order to have fun coding again, which is why I got into Scala:
Just finished chapter 21 in Programming in Scala 2nd Ed: "Implicit Conversions and Parameters", and this language keeps blowing my mind away— Orr Sella (@orrsella) May 25, 2012
And I’m loving every minute of it.